Skip to main content

Stanbic IBTC Improves Banking Experience #NoMoreDepositSlips!

It is always super cool to see businesses/organizations proactively improve their customers' experience and in this case, Stanbic IBTC changes the game for the banking industry in Nigeria!

About 2 weeks ago, I got a pop up message saying; "Avoid filling deposit forms, just walk straight to the teller and speak your transactions. Call 01-4222222 for more"

Out of curiosity, I went to a branch of the bank and requested for a deposit slip. The security officer in the banking hall asked if I needed to make a cash transfer and on confirmation, I was told that the bank no longer requires deposit slips and I could simply speak with a teller and they will handle my transaction. At this point, I knew I had to explain my objective and requested to see the branch/operations manager. I gave him my business card, explained what I do and why I needed to try out both services to ascertain the impact on my experience as a customer and he had to dig in to get me a deposit slip so I could validate this initiative as an experience improvement initiative.

My Experience Using The Deposit Slip
In summary;
  • I filled out the deposit slip and was ready to approach the teller in 3 minutes
  • It took the teller 2 minutes to process my cash deposit transaction
  • Teller printed out 2 copies of a receipt, handed them over to me to sign off on and then I was given my copy while she kept a copy
  • In total, time spent making a cash deposit (in an uncrowded banking hall) was 5 minutes
My Experience Without a Deposit Slip 
In summary;
  • I did not have to fill out any deposit slip but went straight to the teller
  • Teller asked for my account number and the beneficiaries account details
  • Teller printed out 2 copies of a receipt, handed them over to me to sign off on and then I was given my copy while she kept a copy
The Result? 
Total time spent making a cash deposit using a deposit slip was cut by 3 minutes! Rather than spending 5 minutes in the banking hall making a cash deposit, I can actually have my cash deposit transaction done in 2 minutes in a typical scenario i.e. with no queues and of cause this is may/may not also dependent on how much cash you are depositing.

How Do I Feel About This As A Customer? 
Great! And the truth is, I feel like the improvement is all about me and my time. I may be wrong, but my perception is Stanbic IBTC Nigeria did their homework and sort a way to not only please me as their customer by reducing my time spent depositing cash (customer effort), they also have given me 3 extra minutes to spend doing something else or just chilling😎!

How Does This Impact Stanbic IBTC As A Business? 
Having worked in 3 major banks in Nigeria over a 10 year period (FCMB, Zenith and UBA) with specific reference to my role in customer service operations at the branch level, the paper work required per transaction can be a whole lot and the justification is "that is the process". Major challenge when dealing with customers that are not literate. In my specific case, I was working in a branch at the centre of a major market in Lagos, Nigeria (Balogun) so imagine how I had to scrutinize every document filled by a customer or had to write for customers and have them sign off on what I had written. Please do not add the times I got into trouble because I did not capture some vital information and had to go through the uphill task of begging customers to come back to the branch to complete their documentation😓. 

What Stanbic IBTC has done here in my opinion is demystify that illusion of having paper documentation for cash transactions (PS; noticed that FX deposit slips still exist) by leveraging customer engagement and technology.

How;
  • Teller is now compelled to have a conversation with you as a customer rather than just saying hello and have a great day at the beginning and at the end of your transaction. They have to ask you all the questions and build rapport with you making you feel special #personalizedserviceinasense 
  • Life has been made easy for the tellers! They have less paper work at the end of the day to balance out
  • The bank saves money in printing this batch of deposit slips, improves customer experience, has an increased customer satisfaction/retention and more revenue is recorded so in the end it is a win-win situation! Imagine my next rating when i am asked to rated my experience and yes, I will keep banking with Stanbic IBTC
I do applaud this innovation and will definitely try to reach out to the bank to see if I can have an interview with the bank to get more insight into how they came up with this innovation and what else their customers should expect!

I also humbly encourage all Nigerian banks to look inwards, understand their customers and leverage customer behavior and data to proactively improve service experience from an outside in perspective.

Have a good one!

deBBie   




Comments

  1. This is a good innovation but I'd like to know if this applies to making deposits alone or withdrawals as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chiwuikem for reading the post. I do not know if it applies to withdrawals as that may require a different approach? Not sure but thinking through it, an account holder would either have a cheque book or a debit card? If no rather than using withdrawal slips, my guess is the same process i.e. talking your transaction may apply

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Auto Dealership Customer Acquisition Drivers

Knowing your customer acquisition drivers (why they chose you and not your competition) gives you strategic insight when designing and deploying marketing communication content and what you see in the image are researched customer acquisition drivers for a the Auto Dealership industry in Nigeria by Neetch Company . Customer acquisition drivers impact customer retention because after conversion, if the experience your customers have post buying, using or sharing your product or service does not align with the expectations leading to conversion (reasons for choosing you), it is highly likely that your customers will churn. Your customer churning negatively influences your brand integrity and for an auto dealership trust me, don't underestimate the power of word of mouth (WOM) as a channel of product/service awareness! This and a whole lot more I will be sharing with the entire team at one of Nigeria's leading Auto Dealerships tomorrow. Ready for it! hashtag # training hasht

Arrogant, Cold & Unwelcoming

... Then ... the waiter came for our orders. She stood there so impatiently and seemingly scornfully while we were trying to make our choice. We settled for fish and chips but we needed to be sure how much to order so we asked a simple question "how big is the fish? would one be enough for 2 people for instance" and she responds "Just as it appears in the menu book". We tried to make her understand our question but instead of trying to advise and convince us on what to buy, she simply coldly stuck to her response..."Just as it appears in the menu book". Of course we walked out immediately. Details of Experience Shared What is the name of the product, service or company? Lounge 38 How would you describe your experience? Poor  Please share details of your experience. Friday 28th Sept, after close of work, I and 2 other friends decided to have a brief hang out before heading home and we decided on Lounge 38 on Bode Thomas. First impression on

How Not To Advertise Your Business

In my opinion, this is one of the ways to NOT advertise your product or service.  Yes it’s an innovative solution  @gokadang but it’s communicated more like a business pitch than value to customer from a customer’s perspective and I will explain why. Off the top of my head, if market Research was done prior to the design of this product, I will expect the below value highlighted (using myself as a customer because yes, I still ride on motorcycles in my neighbor only) 😉 1) You will definitely beat traffic and faster movement means you can  #fuelyourhustle but how does message communicate your guarantee of safety knowing how reckless some of these riders can be? 2) Is this service insured so that if I ride with  @gokadang  and there’s an accident I am somewhat taken care of? 3) How trained are the drivers? What’s the selection process like?  4) Does riding on this motorcycles comply with government regulations on motorcycle usage in Lagos? Are the motorcycles the right spec? If custom